Anime Fan Culture (Toxic Edition) – The comic

 

 

Okay so, I decided on my final task on being a comic because I haven’t done those in a while and it’s fun and I miss it. Doing lineart is relaxing. No deeper reason.

Anime fan culture is something I have completely surrounded myself with, so choosing that as the topic was not hard (and not surprising for you, I bet), but narrowing it down sure as heck was.

I also decided on making it manga style because it suited the topic and not because colouring is tough business, and I’m a big time coward-

SO PLEASE READ FROM RIGHT TO LEFT, TOP TO DOWN, AND START FROM THE PAGE ON THE RIGHT

 

Without further ado, here’s the comic/manga!

 

 


 

Now if you aren’t into anime at all or maybe out of touch with it, please let me explain. Because there’s a lot going on here. I’m aware.

Once again, bear with me.

 



Bear.

With me.

Yeah yeah, I’ll see myself out.

 


Yeah, still not sorry.

 

 

The two narrators are my own OCs, Zeina and Zara, who you might be familiar with by now. It’s not like they suffer enough at my hands in the actual story they’re apart of, so naturally they had to further suffer in my hands.

Other characters are either from said fandoms or random ghosts presenting real people or NPCs (ghosts are freaking cute, okay, and I was working on a tight schedule. Compromises people, compromises)

 

But now onto the panels themselves!

I decided on focusing on more recent events, since there was a lot to choose from. Also, I’m obviously biased and like to force Chainsaw Man into anything I can, so there’s that. I also started from milder things and moved to more and more messed up things, not to drop everything on you at once. (I’m super nice like that, feel free to thank me.)

So, let’s go through the fandoms and events I brought up.

While I give you memes I found from the back of my phone's gallery, so no credits available, unfortunately. (I've only made one of them, feel free to guess which one)

 

Chainsaw Man and The reading Comprehension devil.

It’s a common meme in the fandom that the fans only speed-read the manga and do not know what happened and who half the characters are afterwards. Due to the world-setting of devils gaining their powers through what is feared, the fans named the phenomenon “the reading comprehension devil.” It’s very funny but also sad, because a massive number of fans did not remember where the mascot of the series, Pochita, went after chapter/episode 1.

And that was chapter/episode 1. And it was a key part in the main character’s story arc. And it was revisited. Multiple times.

Mostly it's just funny, though. And just a bit sad.

Let's not even get into the whole thing with people barking in the comment section whenever they see an image of Makima, I do not have the energy for that today.

 




Jujutsu Kaisen fans playing 4D chess trying to piece together what the mangaka meant

Whenever a new power and/or character is introduced, the author of the manga does not know how to explain things in simple terms. Most of the time the discussion sections are filled with people’s theories on things that other series get to take for granted. It’s not like Jujutsu Kaisen is the only series that struggles with this, since for example, Hunter X Hunter is famous for having that one page that is filled with NOTHING but explanation text.

But at least the anime tries to correct this for Jujutsu Kaisen, so that is good.

 



 

One Piece fans will not stop telling you how it’s the best thing to exist. Ever.

I might be just a biiiiit biased because last year I was sitting next to two classmates who would not stay quiet about it, but trust me, it’s a common phenomenon online, as well. The manga is also over 1000 chapters long and anime over 1000 episodes long. So, sorry friends, I am not strong enough to read/watch it.

 

The inescapable power debates

This one isn’t even fandom specific because these people are everywhere. No matter what the original discussion is about, the power comparison lovers will find a way to talk about it in the comments section. They do not make much sense since the world-building of the sources is not comparable most of the time.

The fandoms in the panel I drew are only a few of the many examples, but here’s the name drop for these 5 (from left to right (this time, yeah yeah, i know)):

  • One Punch Man (Saitama)
  • Naruto (Sasuke)
  • Jujutsu Kaisen (Gojo)
  • One Piece (Luffy)
  • Dragon Ball (Goku)

 

 

 

Sakura is Useless

The Naruto fandom just will not stop spouting it wherever you go. Even I, the self-proclaimed meme enthusiast (okay ewww now I’m just making myself cringe, I am so sorry for these second-rate jokes), think this sentence should be buried 6 feet underground. And fast.

 


 

 


And now, the finale, oh boy, buckle up, kids:

 

Attack on titan and death threats to Isayama

The manga ended a couple years ago, and the fans were not pleased, the ending has even been compared to the ending of Game of Thrones. And it is funny, because while the ending was not that good by any means, it was NOT anywhere near that level of garbage.

What it not funny though is that the mangaka, Isayama Hajime, has received countless death threats and extreme outrage due to the ending of his story.

Thankfully there were positive developments as well. He apologised to the fans for disappointing them on his first ever visit to the US and was met with heart-warming support. Still, it is sad he felt the need to do that in the first place.

 

 



 

My Hero Academia

Shippers are everywhere, and there’s nothing wrong with that, some people just take it way too far, and this fandom is one of them. The mangaka keeps getting sent death threats, threatening his life if certain characters don’t end up together, and that’s really something.

Twitter also decided that the mangaka is a fascist because a character shares his birthday with Hitler. There are only 365 days a year, are we supposed to boycott certain days of the year now? If so, might as well not name any birthdays for any characters because there is a bastard out there for each day of the year.

 


 

Danganronpa

So yeah, you read that right, the Junko Enoshima cosplayer who took pictures on people’s graves was a real thing. But that is the least she did, because she also murdered her friend and covered it up. She’s now facing charges. (I left that out of the comic to keep the comic more toned-down.)

Thankfully the latter one about the Nagito Komaeda fan turned out to be a fake, but it still circulates online told as a real story. You should check this Izzzyzzz video on it:

https://youtu.be/8VagGzRBFLs


 

This is Kork. Don't even ask-

 

For these last two communities, God do I love these series, but I am scared to be too vocal about it, due to their reputation being what it is.

Doesn’t stop me from drawing 20 finished (and lord knows how many drafts) Danganronpa illustrations and using 2,5 months of my free time to make a My Hero Academia fan animatic ¯\_()_/¯

 

 

 

 

Sincerely, 

Someone who wanted to make the comic 2-pages long but had too many ideas to stop at just 2

 

 

Ps. Thank you for this course, It was so fun! 

Pps. Here's another MS paint drawing because I just cannot stop torturing myself with those :)

 

Now here are additional Danganronpa memes because my folder was FULL of them:








Comments

  1. YES I WAS WAITING FOR THIS XDDD As a JJK reader the 4D, may I even say 5D chess is real, still no clue what this one arc in the manga is about and I'm begging for the anime to have a more easily understandable explanation. Maybe Gege is an unfathomable genius galaxy brain with a 900IQ and that's why no one understands the arc xD

    Also yeah the thing about OP fans never shutting up about it IS SO TRUE LMAO, I'm in a One Piece cosplay group for Frostbite 2023 and even though our captain is a great guy and super awesome, he will never stop talking about OP xD Then again I talk QUITE a lot about Genshin so idk man ashjdgagfhsk xDDD

    Great job on the comic and good luck on your presentation though I'm sure you'll ace it! B)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH YOU'RE SO DAMN SWEET FR!! THANK YOU <3

      BROO I KNOW 5D chess indeed, Gege must be a secret mastermind for real, we are too dumb to keep up haha! Also I can imagine Mappa's team reading a new chapter with a massive migraine each time XDDDD The poor people are not paid enough for this bs-

      Oh my god he's a prime OP fan for sure LMAO Bro I made the mistake of going to a con with one of the friends I'm talking about and he would not stop power comparing with another OP fan T_T all the love to you guys, no shade, pure respect for the commitment XDDDD <3

      QUITE A LOT INDEED XDD And I won't shut up about Chainsaw Man :')))) Your video was seriously top-tier though, such good job aaaaaah <33

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts